Monday, May 30, 2011

Sandcastles in the Sand

Today, on my day off, I got up at 6 am, treated myself with some breakfast from BK and then headed to Yankton to play in the sand. Why? Because the Missouri River is about to flood. The Army Corps is releasing water from the dams at record high rates, and I don't think anyone knows exactly what to expect. The news can explain it better than I can:

THIS IS A NEWS STORY ABOUT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. CLICK IT.


I really enjoyed my 3 hours spent bagging sand today. It was hard work, but I got to meet some really great people. It is really nice to see everyone coming out and lending a hand. There are literally hundreds of people filling sand bags, and hundreds more helping residents sandbag their properties and move out of their homes. The task is simple, shovel sand into bags, tie bags shut, stack bags on pallets. It takes a lot of hands to accomplish this task, a shoveler, a bag opener, a bag filler, a knot tyer, and a stacker.

Some of the many hundreds of volunteers who came out this morning to fill sandbags

The fruits of our labor, ready to be picked up by residents in need.


Fortunately it seems the town I live in, Vermillion is safe from flooding. I am more than happy to lend a hand to neighbors in need though. I will likely volunteer more time over the next week.

And now let's hope those tornado threats for tonight are just that- threats.

No comments:

Post a Comment