Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Rapture

Yesterday was Judgement Day. Or was it?

Today I woke up feeling like I had been severely beaten and perhaps ran over by a semi. Perhaps I was in some epic post-apocalyptic battle yesterday? Afraid not. I can now recall that I was in the front seat of a canoe that met a tree head on. I seem to have wrenched my arm out of it's socket as I tried to keep that branch from ripping my face off. I was mostly successful, as I only lost a little of my lip and a minor chunk of gums. C'est la vie. I am here to tell the story.

This is what happens when your face meets an un-friendly tree branch.


The rest is a bit of a blur. I remember being underwater and then clinging to a tree branch for a bit as I dug my phone out of it's dry bag to call for help. I also recall my 2 co-workers trying to hold our sinking canoe. Eventually we gathered our belongings, bailed out the canoe, dug out the 100 pounds of sand, and got her back afloat. The sun stayed out until we reached our car at our pull-out location 14 miles from our point of origin.

Sadly, when we got back to the car we realized we did not have the car keys. Fortunately we were able to call someone to come get us. The thunderstorms rolled over our heads dropping only a few "fat raindrops" on us as they passed over.

My crew leader Ben, as the "Rapture" was occuring 

Eventually I made it home safely. Some friends of mine from home were visiting. We drank some beers and watched the thunder and lightning. After the storm passed my roommate pointed out a wonderful thing.. a double rainbow occurred. It was fantastic.

Double Rainbow!!! (hard to see in this photo, but it's there)

Yesterday was supposed to be the Rapture. It was not in fact the end of days but it was an interesting day nonetheless...

No comments:

Post a Comment