Sunday, August 14, 2011

Why I hate cockroaches:



Ok, so I will confess... I am totally 100% creeped out by cockroaches. I am not afraid of spiders, ants, bees,  worms, or any other creepy crawly really. I am bothered by the ones that bite, but overall I am generally ok with the insect world.

Cockroaches, however, are just not OK in my book.

It all started when I worked cleaning houses and restaurants with my uncle. I quickly realized that EVERY food service establishment struggles with roach control, no matter what they tell you. Also, having known plenty of people who work for pest control services, I know way more than I care to about the distribution of roaches.
 
Here is a summary of my least favorite roach moments (in no particular order)

1. Kingston, RI 2002: My dorm freshman year was located immediately next to a dining hall. We had tile floors. The roaches were so big you could HEAR them scuttling across your bedroom floor at night. DISGUSTING.

2. New Haven, CT 2004:  I was cleaning a kitchen at a FANCY New Haven restaurant, when I reached my hand into a cabinet to move a stack of plates, I apparently disturbed a large number of sleepy roaches. I felt something moving, and when I pulled my hand out of the cabinet there were dozens of roaches crawling on my hand and arm. DISGUSTING. I showered twice that day.

3. Oklahoma City, OK 2005: Rachel and I were bickering about the motel we stayed at.  Granted, it was my fault we ended up at a crappy motel 6. She had wanted to stop in Tulsa but I insisted on pressing on a few more hours. My bad. At the time we were not yet 21 years old and the only motel that would allow us was the motel 6. I whined and complained, stating that I refused to stay at a motel 6 because there would be roaches. She thought I was exaggerating until we walked in and there was a roach crawling down the wall. DISGUSTING.

4. Lincoln, NE 2009: While en route from Wyoming to Connecticut, my mother and I stopped at a Holiday Inn Express. In all my years of travel a H.I.E. has never let me down. Wellllll this one did. Mom immediately noticed the GIANT 3 inch cockroach stuck in the vent directly over the toilet. It was still partially alive, turning its head occasionally. I found it difficult to shower knowing that creepy ass bug was watching me. Hotel staff refused to come and remove it. DISGUSTING.

5. Corpus Christi, TX 2010: When I first arrived in Texas, I was thrilled at the beautiful beach, and my awesome housing accomodations. I even had a bathroom to myself. Somewhere around my 3rd day a GIANT cockroach came slithering out of my shower drain while I was mid-shampoo. I won't lie --- I screamed like a little girl and jumped out of the shower. It was DISGUSTING.

6. Vermillion, SD 1 hour ago: I am laying in my bed innocently watching Cosby show re-runs via Netflix for iPhone when a cockroach falls out of the A/C vent above my head and lands on me. DISGUSTING.

7. The movie "Joe's Apartment".  What the hell MTV? Don't try to make movies. Ever again.

8. The song " The Cockroach That Ate Cincinnatti". Dad used to play that song on one of his old Dr. Demento tapes. I found it disturbing even as a child.




2 comments:

  1. If you have a strong stomach and want to read more about these vile creatures (Oh, it wasn’t dead, not by a long shot. It was running now, in circles, no doubt damaged in some indescribably nauseating way.)http://alisontennentdennehy.weebly.com/1/post/2012/11/a-wire-brush-and-a-bottle-of-dettol-on-things-i-wish-to-god-i-could-forget1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate cockroach very much, because they are the most dirty house insect. They love to live in our toilet. They are also responsible for spreading many deadly disease.

    bed bug traps

    ReplyDelete